Friday, April 17, 2009

Takkeman Blastor (Customized) - Part 1

While I've stopped all efforts in finishing the Flag Custom kit...due to busy schedule. However, I've been building another kit for a friend who is paying me for it.

The kit is the 1/16 Takkeman Blastor (An old kit from the early 90's).

Although I have never seen this anime before, but I thought the box art looks pretty awesome. Notice the kit only cost $16.00 USD. Quality down the drain....So due to the poor design of the kit, some modifications are in order.



I've pre-built the kit to check for errors and just to see how it looks, and surely is a big difference from the box art... One of the major difference is the length of the leg (which is a bit short).


Notice some of the pieces just doesn't snap well together (like the head)....


It was at this point that I knew this kit need some modifications in order to satisfy my friend.

The box art shows the antenna to be long, and is 2 pieces instead of one. So mod begins.

I've modded the antennas and also lengthen & sharpen the shoulders. Also I have added some pla-plate to the collar, to make it more 3 dimensional.

In order to lengthen the leg, I had to cut the leg in half carefully.
Then insert a pla-tube in between...adding 1 1/2 inch to the kit. I've also made the spear longer to match the new height.

I performed a bit of kitbashing here to enhance the look of the new legs, using spare plamo parts from some 1/144 kits. Also I have lenghten the toes and sharpen them.
Then filled in the gap with magic sculpt & epoxy putty, and file/sand away...

The back also need some mods, since the kit is now taller, the lower wings need to be lengthen as well. So I used pla-plate to do this, adding in panel lines.

And here is the results after all the mods have been implmented.

NEXT UPDATE: PAINT JOB

2 comments:

  1. I love Tekkaman Blade, it is one of my all time favorite animes

    ReplyDelete
  2. you just showed me how to lengthen legs :) but what size of plastic tubes did you use? i have the same model and wanted to do this.

    ReplyDelete

Gundam Guy Blog

Related Posts with Thumbnails