[UPDATED 11/29/11 - JUDGES' FAVORITE PICK AWARD PRIZES REVEALED! PLEASE SEE DETAILS BELOW!]
Gundam Guy / GG Infinite will be hosting this year's G-SHOT Gunpla Photo Contest starting this November. This is a worldwide online gunpla photo submission contest where participants would compete in 5 different categories. This competition will begin Nov. 1st, 2011 and will end on December 31st, 2011. And depending on the judges deliberating process, we aim to announce the winners during the first week of January 2012 to kick off the new year. We are definitely looking forward to seeing all the great works that you gunpla builders had spent so much of your time working on.
GG Infinite will be sponsoring all the award prizes. We are keeping the prizes for each winning categories underwrap for now. Rest assure that the prizes will be the greatest & latest in the Gundam world.
Competitors will be competing in 5 main categories:
- Best Gunpla Photo - A gunpla image that would 'WOW' the judges. It doesn't matter whether the photo is from a diorama, customized kit or a straight build.
- Best Diorama - An image of a diorama that tells a story, with details that show the modeler's skills.
- Best Customized Gunpla - An image of a suped-up gunpla. Your image needs to show us the mastery of your modelling skills, by rightfully implementing aftermarket/option parts, custom decals, pla-platings, panel lines, etc. Basically we are looking for 'The Works' that looks the best.
- Best Paint Job - Obviously we are looking for more than just the stock color. Creativity & painting skills are what count here.
- Best Straight Built Photo - If you are a novice at building gunpla, we encourage you to send in a photo that shows the power of your straight build. *Application of Panel lines are allowed using gundam marker. Paint product such as top coat and other paint products are not allowed *
We will also have our judges to individually pick their own favorite entries, so there will be extra awards given to these winners as well. More info about prizes will be given in our next update post.
Here are the prizes for each catagory (We hope you like them!)
BEST GUNPLA PHOTO WINNER:
MG 1/100 Full Armor Unicorn Gundam (plus 2 random Gundam UC HG kits)
MG 1/100 Type 94 Base Jaber
$20 GG INFINITE Coupon
MG 1/100 Heavyarms Gundam EW
MG 1/100 Gundam Sandrock
MG 1/100 Gundam Eypon
$10 GG INFINITE Coupon
Bandai Hobby Online Shop Exclusive: MG 1/100 Trans-Am Raiser [Trans-Am Mode] (Plus MG Series 2 'Red' LEDs)
$10 GG INFINITE Coupon
RG 1/144 MBF-02 Strike Rouge [Gunpla Expo World Tour 2011 Exclusive Item]
Here are the prizes for the 5 judges' favorites
Each Judge will be selecting their favorite entry from the contest, and these are the award prizes going to those winners:
GG's Favorite - MG 1/100 Gundam AGE-1 Normal
Our Judges For This Contest:
Syd Sked - The host of Gunpla TV, and the guy behind Gaijin-Gunpla.com, who brings us a lot of great gunpla kit builds and reviews.
Kenny Lim (aka. Toymaker) - Creator of Toymaker. This guy needs no introduction. He is a multiple Bandai Gunpla Champ & 2010 group category champion. His creativeness & skills inspires many gunpla builders around the world.
Don Carlos - Creator & administrator of Mech Art Community, owner of DC23 Mech Arts blog, and a very seasoned gunpla builder.
Adam Sonar - Creator & administrator of Gundam Australia Forum! He brings gunpla builders from around the world together to discuss various topics, and hosting a lot of great group builds on his forum.
G.G. - Creator & administrator of Gundam Guy Blog and GG Infinite News. Owner of GG Infinte Online Hobby Store. Co-owner of MSG.net, a GG Infinite's Community Portal.
And a special thanks to our partners at MSG.net, DC23 Mech Art, Gundam Australia Forum, and Gundam Model Kit & Figures to help spread words about this contest. Be sure to take some time to visit these great forums and websites!
Rules To Submit Your Entry For This Contest:
Send your entry to email@example.com (Between Nov. 1st - Dec. 31st, 2011) according to the following requirements:
- Your full name
- Name of your model kit (e.g. MG 1/100 00 Raiser)
- Attach one competing image per category, and name the image 'yourname_gshot.jpg'. Pls also submit two other images so that we may view your creation from various perspectives, and name them 'yourname_extra1.jpg' & 'yourname_extra2.jpg'. Please note that only the competing image will be considered in the contest, so please choose wisely which image you wish to compete using. (Image size must be under 1 MB, and no larger than 1200/1600 pixels). We are also requiring that at least one of your image submission to be photo taken with a name tag w/ your name on it.
- Type in the subject area of your email the category that you would like your submission to compete in. If you would like to compete in more than one catagory, please send in each submission in a seperate email. If you send us more than 3 photos in one email or if you images are oversized, we will disqualify your entry.
***As with any competitions, there will be questions about rules & stuff that we have not mentioned, so this FAQ would continue to be updated to cover some questions that you might have regarding this contest, just message us your questions in this post.***
Q: I am not from the US, can I participate?
A: This competition is open to everyone around the world.
Q: What model kits would qualify for this contest?
A: Gundam model kits
Q: Can we photoshop our images?
A: Is both yes & no. Yes, you may use photoshop to do slight touch-ups & adding text. No, you may not use photoshop to mark-up your images so much that the gunpla looks different than what it actually looks like. Basically we want to see your work, and not a glorified digital alteration of it.
Q: For the Straight Built category, are we allow to use top coat, add panel lines, or apply paint touch up (like the sinanju gold trims)?
A: The rules for this category had changed for this year's contest. We will only allow panel lines from a Gundam marker pen. Other paint products cannot be used. Decals is allowed.
Q: Does the image have to be standing/full body shot or can it be any pose?
A: Only one competing image is allowed per category, so choose the image that you feel is best based on the specific category.
Q: Can we enter more than one model per category?
A: No, only one entry per category is allowed just to be fair.
Q: Can we enter the same entry in more than one category?
A: Yes you may, as long as it meet the rules, but we do encourage you to enter different kits to keep it interesting.
Q: Can we use other people's photo for submission?
A: We hope that everyone would take pride in their own work, so the answer is 'no'.
Q: Can I have more than one kit present in a Diorama entry?
A: Yes, this is the only category where more than one kit to be present. The entire diorama is the star of the show.
Q: Is scratch build allowed?
A: Most Definitely, we love scratch build. But know that scratch build does not quality for Best Straight Build entry.