Thursday, July 16, 2009

Gunpla Worklog: 1/100 Gundam Astraea FA Kai - Update 6

Here is a minor update to the WIP of my 1/100 Gundam Astraea FA Kai project. This week was kinda busy for me so I was not able to make any huge progress. I only got to work on it a little.

As I had mentioned in my last update, I had pretty much finished modifying the core body and now working on the details & accessories. Since mods takes up lot of time to do, I thought it would be wise to sketched some ideas on a print-out and see how it looks before I do the actual mods.

After I drew down a few ideas, I sat back and thought about it.

BOOSTER EXTENSION: Originally I had wanted to add the wing extension to the boosters, but now I've decided to scrape this idea. It just doesn't seem to look all that great, and I don't want to end up with something that look like aile strike / freedom gundam.

WEAPON HOOK LOCK: This idea is still a GO. I want to have a hook at the back of the waist to hold the beam cannon. Again the FA theme requires this Astraea to be fully armed. But I have yet to start this mod.

GN BLADES: As I had previously mentioned that I am a big fan of the 00 Gundam Seven Sword, and adding modified blades to this kit would be awesome. This mod is 85% completed.

LEG BOOSTER: Although I didn't sketch this in the drawing, but I thought this would also be a good addition to the FA theme of the kit. This mod is 70% completed.

Here are a couple of images showing the WIP leg boosters. This mod requires that I saw out a piece of the back leg armor to insert the booster and have the cutout piece to serve as cover of the bootser.


Here is an image of the WIP GN Blades. Yup...is all pla-plates, except for the handle. Will apply epoxy putty soon to fill in the gap & smooth out the surface of the blade body.

I just can't say enough just how I love the look of the 00 Gundam Seven Sword, and I am glad to be able to add the GN Blades to the knee on my own modified Astraea.

Misc images of my kit with the GN Blades attached.

Until next update...

23 comments:

  1. ARRRGH! Awesomeness overload!! The GN Blades just bring the whole thing to life. Brilliant work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top Notch! I have Gundam Mod envy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. damn... so awesome, now I have no idea what to do with my Astrea to make it stand out...
    the good thing is that your project gace me some nice ideas for my Cherudim that I'm working on right now (see on my blog)

    One more thing, about buying 3 Jegan kits, don't do that 2 will be enough, there wil be more HG Unicorn kits coming out this year and I think that Jesta will be one of them (I hope so), then You can buy 2 of them to make Jesta cannon :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture with the action pose screams "COME GET SUM!" Very ambitious and awesome project here. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

    In regards to the question you left me about my next project, I'm currently building the MG Zaku II Char Custom ver. 2.0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guys, Thanks again for the encouraging comments.

    @Aulon: Your Cherudim looks good. I guess we both like our boosters on the back of the upper body. As for the Jegan, yeah you are right, I should just get 2 (sometimes I just get too carried away...), and pray that Bandai would issue the HG Jesta soon.

    @zrogunota: I have got to get myself to build a zaku kit. I am getting closer, since my next project would be the Sinanju.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, this thing is absolutely incredible. I'm envious of your skill and hope that this fella gets finished up sometime.

    Out of curiosity, does it still have a tendency to tumble over or did you fix that little issue?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @lupes: Thanks for the nice comment. I hope to get this finish one day, but I am quite busy recently with other stuff & other gunplas.

    THe tumble over had been dealt with, since modding the core body made the body heavier, the backpack is no longer an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome mod!!
    At first I thought the knee joints are too long, but after the GN katars are there, they look just fine ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG.. you got the skill dude.. admiring you so much.. and your idea is so creative.. love the background that you use.. so many mechanical chain base.. at least 8 there right..

    ReplyDelete
  10. @heathorn: Thanks for the encouraging comment.

    @V: Thanks! Actually I have a lot of mechanical chains still in boxes. Currently I only have 6 setup. If I build a big hanger, I don't know where I can put it in my house. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. what material do u use to make the extra parts?
    I've been wanting to buy a MG model and customize as much as i can this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Anon: Mainly I use pla-plate (Evergreen Plastic Plate), epoxy putty, and some aftermarket metal parts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really inspired after seeing your build bro! i hope you finish this soon and able to go back on the overflag. Hope to see more updates!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So is this ever going to be finished? It looks so much better than mine. Then again, that was my first time painting. Is this thing lost in a pile of boxes by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow that looks sooo ridiculously cool

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want one! The design actually reminds me of Jehuty from Zone of the Enders. What color scheme were you going to use?

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey G.G. how did you make those leg boosters? pla plates?

    ReplyDelete
  18. did you ever finish it? where can i see the finished kit?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope this is still a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome work. Looks great. Hope you finished it. The GN boosters some how remind me of Weltall 2's booster from Xenogears. Really great work and hope to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wanna see this so bad especially since Astraea is coming out

    ReplyDelete

Gundam Guy Blog

Related Posts with Thumbnails